Ashwood Children's Centre is a not for profit community based kindergarten and long day early childhood service.
We provide quality care and education for our children and consider ourselves to be one of the highest standard early childhood services in our region for the following reasons:
Educator to Children Ratios
We have educator to children ratios well above minimum standards throughout the centre.
1. Kindergarten Room (4yo) – 4 educators with 30 children (must be aged 4 years by 30th April of their Kindergarten year)
2. Possums Room (3yo Kinder) – 4 educators with 18 children (must be aged 3 years by 30th April of their 3yo Kindergarten year)
3. Gumnuts Room (toddlers) – 4 educators with 12 children
4. Wombats room (babies) – 4 educators with 10 children
Quality Kindergarten Program
We boast an excellent transition to school for our children through our quality kindergarten program which is accessed through Monash Council Central Enrolment Program.
Our program is managed by 2 bachelor Qualified Teachers who “co-teach” in our 4yo room. They work alongside 2 Diploma qualified Educators to provide an excellent quality “transition to school” program.
Your child can access our 4yo Kinder program via a number of flexible delivery methods including:
1. Sessional Kinder – currently available on Monday/Wednesday from 8.30am-4.00pm, during term time only, charged by the term.
2. Sessional Kinder – currently available on Tuesday/Thursday from 8.30am-4.00pm, during term time only, charged by the term.
3. Long day Kindergarten – currently available on any day(s) of the week from 7.00am-6.00pm (actual Kinder program hours are 8.30am-4.00pm, children attending outside these hours are involved in a long day program administered by the Kinder co-workers), attend all year round with the exception of gazetted public holidays and compulsory centre closure, charged at daily fee.
4. A combination of Sessional Kinder and Long Day Kinder – your child can access one sessional position and top that up with 1-3 Long Day Kinder days.
Our families are extremely involved in our centre as we are run by a volunteer committee of parents.
Monash City Council Facilities
The Monash Council own our land and buildings and provide regular maintenance and support to our centre.
Our food has won Awards
Our kitchen continues to strive for the highest quality in food quality and service for the children and educators. We are involved annually in the City of Monash Golden Plate awards which has brought a 5 star rating in 2011 and 2012, as well as excellent results in all internal and external audits which are conducted throughout the year.
Previously a member of the “Start Right, Eat Right” pilot program for children’s services, we continue to maintain the health and nutrition standards set even though funding has shifted away from this area. We are now proud members of the Victorian Prevention and Health Promotion Achievement Program (VPHPAP) which dictates the standards for:
1. Healthy eating
2. Oral Health
3. Physical activity
4. Sun protection
5. Tobacco control
Click here for information on this program. Although only a new resource still in the early stages of development, this will give you an insight into the benchmarks required and our involvement thus far.
In 2013, our centre had the privilege of again being nominated in the Australian Family Children’s Services awards.
Several educators were also nominated in their individual categories – Bonnie Leopold (Rising Star), Nicki Hamilton (Early Childhood Educator) and Fiona Sherlock (Centre Director).
We are extremely proud of all the individual nominees, and especially proud of the “team” nomination which exemplifies just how hard our educator group works to achieve a high standard of care and education.